Friday, October 4, 2013

Traditions

The Williams family is deeply rooted in family traditions.  Family traditions are practices or beliefs that create positive feelings in families, are repeated at regular intervals, and are more than routines (ordinary, everyday activities that require no special behavior and involve little emotion). 

Many of the traditions in the Williams family are handed down from generation to generation.  Of course, there are traditions created within individual families, however, the Williams family has traditions that a large majority are involved in.  One of these is the annual family reunion.  The Williams family still engages in an annual reunion which grows every year.  Of course, not everyone can always attend the family reunion, but I think many of us have wonderful memories of them even if we cannot attend anymore.  I have not been able to attend since I was in my early twenties, but I love to see the pictures each year. Below is a picture from the 1984 family reunion. with my grandfather, Fred Williams, and his brothers and sisters. 


To the right is a picture of Cranberry Church 1945. Much of the Williams clan attended Cranberry Church.  Of course, I cannot speak for all of the Williams clan, but I know that traditions for many are based on religious beliefs, such as as praying before meals and attending church. 

I remember the tradition of going to my Paw Paw and Maw Maw Williams' house almost every holiday.  Almost all of the kids and grandchildren would visit on Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  It was always a tradition that I now cherish.  I have wonderful memories of playing with my cousins and spending almost every Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas day there with tons of extended family.

Another very common tradition celebrated by the Williams family is birthday celebrations!  This is even evident per the newspaper article about my grandfather's birthday party!

I think the traditions the Williams' have engaged in have cultivated a connection between immediate family members and between generations. By spending time together in a fun and special setting, the family has created feelings of warmth and closeness, and has promoted a sense of identify and feeling of belonging. They have promoted a feeling of safety and security within the family by providing predictable and familiar experiences. Family members have something to look forward to which gives them a sense of assurance in a hectic and ever-changing world.
http://realfamiliesrealanswers.org/?page_id=38

No comments:

Post a Comment